Monday, September 13, 2010

So...things are always changing in the publishing business. :P

I talked to the folks who published The Great Debate and Metrognomes: The Shaman's Apprentice today, and the eBook edition of The Great Debate is definitely off, while a decision has yet to be made about the Metrognomes hardback.

The Chronicles of Nightfire, Texas will also not likely be making its way to physical book stores in serial form any time soon, due to the cost of producing each episode. Don't worry though, I am always looking into new ways of doing things! And the new editions will still be released. They will just continue to be offered as exclusives over the Internet.

As for The Great Debate, my contract allows me to shop it to other publishers, or even to format and publish it myself, as I do with my short fiction, which would require a great deal more work on my part, but may be the direction I choose to take with it, as far as getting an eBook out there. Right now, I'm just looking into my options. The current publishers were only interested in doing an eBook version, under certain conditions that Clark Ink was not willing to explore at this time. Basically, an eBook of the current version of the book is what they shot down. If we're going to have to do an all-out second edition in every format in order to do an eBook, then I want to take a little more time with it and make it worth doing. It's something I'd kept in the back of my mind since the book was first released. I'd wanted the interior illustrations in color, but that wasn't a possibility seven years ago. This is something that we may be looking into now, but it wouldn't be ready for a release any time in 2010 and wasn't in the plans at all in any official capacity, so I can't say when or even if it's going to happen. But I will keep you posted if anything new develops.

The Metrognomes hardback is still being talked about, and is almost sure to happen. It just won't be as simple as originally intended. The current publishers want to reformat the trade paperback and the eBook into new editions to coincide with the hardback release. I want to see a hardback release of the current edition. The current publisher is open to going either way with it, but they have their preference, and I have mine. I may also take a third route with the hardback release that would take a lot more time and hard work. Still, I am hopeful the announced release date will hold. Again, I'll keep you posted.

Tripod.com seems to be having more trouble today, and as a result, the new haiku has not yet been published. Keep checking back, because if we can get it to work, we will. Meanwhile, I am already at work on the new Web site.

Peace!