Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Updates on Everything!

It has officially been over two months since my last blog entry. Sorry! I've been completely out of it, off and on, since then. My life is in the dumpster at the moment, but these things happen, and we artists get through them and use them as fuel for future creations. I will survive!

Meanwhile, I am way overdue to give you an update on things. Let's start with the Metrognomes movie efforts.

I heard back some time ago from the ten producers that I met with. Nine of them thought the pitch was effective and highly original. One of them was insane, but I could only laugh at his feedback. I remember thinking he was sort of off when I met with him. He thought it was exactly like Gnomeo and Juliet (just because it had gnomes in it I guess), unoriginal, and would have made a better stage play than a film, if anything at all. I could only laugh at this response! Not that I'd prevent anyone from attempting a stage play, if we worked something out; it's just that the scenes I threw at him would never in a million years have worked "better" on the stage than on film. Well, maybe in a million years. Who knows what we'll be able to pull off live by then? But we still have a ways to go. Anyway, the other nine all felt it was better suited to either the big screen or television.

The thing is, whether they found the idea original and effective or not, nine of the producers (including the barmy one), also passed on the concept, because it simply wasn't the sort of project they were looking for , which was a possibility I had anticipated from the get go.

One producer, however, is taking a closer look at the possibility of developing Metrognomes as a feature film, having their people read the book before deciding if the project is for them. That is the latest that I have heard, and for all I know it may be the last. From here, the production company in question will either get in touch with me to make an offer, or they will not, and there is no set timetable for this. Either way, it's been a great ride! :) Just let me say plainly, there are no offers on the table at this point. The company in question is simply exploring the possibility, which means only that. I'm thrilled by the fact we're still in the game, of course! :D

Now, as for what else I'm working on, I have two short fiction projects in the works, and I'm actively researching for my next novel. We are also still working to get the rest of my work onto the Kindle; the only titles left to convert are Cry, Wolf, Metrognomes: The Shaman's Apprentice, "Metrognomes: Worse than a Gremlin," and "The Escapist." Major delays have come up with all but "Metrognomes: Worse than a Gremlin" for various reasons, but all are still coming as soon as we can get them out. If not by the end of 2013, then hopefully by early next year.

The short fiction projects that I'm currently working on are the long-awaited second installment of The Legends of Nod and a ghost story that's so weird I almost stopped working on it permanently several months ago, even though test readers flat out demanded that I finish it. It's one of those stories that will haunt my mind forever if I don't get it out though, so I have resolved myself to the fact that I am going to finish it. Every story is like that for me, once it's taken hold. My stories possess me, and I have to exorcise them in order to regain control of my mind. Hopefully it will be ready in time for a Christmas Eve release, as I'd like to continue the tradition of publishing a ghost story on that day each year.

So there you go! I will make an effort to keep this blog more up to date, as I pull my life back together over the next several months. Wish me luck.