Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I wrote about nine manuscript pages of "Scarecrow" today. The story has officially graduated to "novelette" status. I hope to have it finished by tomorrow. I am very ear the end and having a great time! A character showed up in my writing today that I hadn't expected to. This story is proving itself to be very connected to some of my other work. I just got back from Barnes & Noble, where I bought the new Anne Rice novel, The Wolf Gift. I'm very much looking forward to reading it, but I doubt I'll get to it until next week. Anne Rice is one of my favorites, ever since I first discovered her at nineteen. Before I get to this new book though, I need to finish reading Sean Williams' Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II. I'm trying to get caught up on Star Wars, but it's so hard when so many novels come out in a year, and I can only read them one at a time, with other things in between to keep me from getting burnt out. I've been reading a lot of Edgar Rice Burroughs lately. I discovered his work last year, and I haven't been able to stop myself from reading more and more now that I have a Kindle and the public domain books are free. I've downloaded Warlord of Mars for my next adventure with Burroughs, but I am still reading books one at a time. I never tire of reading.

Now I'm off to watch a DVD my sister sent me on Netflix. She's a librarian, so I asked for her help in finding research materials on the underground city of Derinkuyu. I really want to explore this city for my next Metrognomes novel. All I've got about their underground cities has been entirely created in my mind. I had no idea there were actual cities like Derinkuyu, capable of housing thousands of people, with indoor plumbing to boot! When I stumbled upon a mention of Derinkyu, I had to know more! I want to know how it worked, how it was laid out. Such knowledge could only improve my vision for Metrognomes and how I present it. I already know the general layout of the tribal caverns, but seeing how Derinkuyu worked will surely help me flesh out the mechanics. This DVD is part of a TV series called Cities of the Underworld. This is season 1, disk 3. If I find it useful, I may check out the entire series at some point. Who knew there were so many underground cities that an entire multi-season TV series could be produced to document them! Our world is such a wonder!