Thursday, September 12, 2013

There's a Multiverse in My Head

I was up quite late with my research last night. In the process, I learned that decaf coffee with powdered cream makes me feel ill, while taking it black makes me feel nothing less than unstoppably productive. To think I've been using the cream all this time!

Today, I am forcing myself to take a break from research and get back into The Legends of Nod #2. Now that my eight years of youth ministry are behind me, I fully intend to be better about maintaining my series work. I have kept my fans waiting for so many things far longer than I would have liked to, and that is a habit I think I can actually break now that I have more time for writing in general.

I ran into someone at a rock-climbing gym just over a year ago who demanded to know how much longer she had to wait for Nod #2, as she had read the first one and been less than patiently waiting for Joryn and Illium's next adventure. I told her then that I had written about half of it and should have it out soon. Did I mention that was just over a year ago? Meanwhile, I am also juggling further Metrognomes adventures and Nightfire, Texas storylines, not to mention the long-standing demand from my earliest readers for a sequel to Cry, Wolf!

Well, I hate more than anything to be nagged, generally speaking, but the one thing I actually appreciate being nagged over is my writing. I feel energized when someone angrily demands of me, "When are going to write the next...?" I also feel troubled that I've upset someone by not getting back to their favorite story sooner. It's tough when they're all my personal favorites. If I get back to Nod today, I'll be spending half my energy trying not to think of my werewolf Daniel, or my gnomes Ak'ten and Pete, or those interesting people (ghosts, vampires, Nephilim, etc.) in Nightfire. I have a very active multiverse in my head at all times, and new stories are unfolding there much faster than I can write them. It's a good thing.

But today, I shall read over what I have written most recently in Nod, a series with a long future ahead, according to the adventures that have already unfolded in my mind. I'm setting a goal for myself to have this episode finished by the end of this week. Hold me to it!