Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Okay, so it's been a week since I posted anything here, but I haven't been slacking! Honest! I've been working very hard. I wrote a new story, called "Hollow Jane," which has been in my head for months. It was posted yesterday, along with "Haiku #19." "Hollow Jane" is weird. I don't really know what to say about it, except that it's very close to me. It's something I had to write and share in order to purge it from my system. My writing is like that. My stories are like my dreams. They live in my subconscious, secretly allowing me to deal with things that I don't want to face. "Hollow Jane" is one of those things. It's a bloodletting. I don't know if it will entertain anybody, but it's as sincere as it is bizzare. Maybe you know a hollow Jane yourself. And just so we're clear, Jane could just as easily have been John. This story isn't about the character's gender, it's about the character's personality type. There are just as many hollow Johns in the world. So yeah, it's odd. I like writing in symbols, it seems. It also seems I've been leaning towards magical realizm in my short fiction recently. It's a style that seems to work for me. So that's my bla bla bla on that. I've also written another haiku and been working on The Chronicles of Nightfire, Texas #5 and my Web site. There are several things going on there. Ellen Heavner's The Great Debate interview should be posted soon, and Thomas Awbrey's Nightfire and Metrognomes databases will start growing bi-monthly, on a rotation. This month, all the stuff from "The Ghost in the Olive Grove" will go into the Nightfire Database, and next month all the stuff from "Music of the Metrognomes" and "Worse than a Gremlin" will go into the Metrognomes Database. He was going to do it all at once, but it was going to take forever before we had anything posted that way. This way, the Metrognomes Database will be complete by this August and the Nightfire Database will be complete by May 2006, both with regular updates to follow. Those "under construction" pages have been irking me awhile now. As for me, I have to complete Nightfire #5 this week, so it can be posted on Monday, then there's work on the print edition of "Dr. Coffee's Pill," then Nightfire #6 possibly subtitled "Secrets of the Nephilim" (remember the somewhat famous Bible burning scene from #2?) The I'm redrafting Metrognomes for the probably last time before it sees print. I'll do my best at keeping you posted.