Friday, July 22, 2005

We're working on getting the first edition of the Nightfire Database online, and I'm up to my usual tricks making it more complicated than originally intended. I was looking over the notes for the entries based on "The Ghost in the Olive Grove," and I was bored out of my mind. Then it hit me that I would be more interested if there were some facts that hadn't been introduced in the story. I am very willing to provide extra details, but it has yet to be decided. The key thing is, these articles are going up before the end of the month. My adding new information will only be possible if it doesn't hold the project back. It's just a short story. I think I can do it. Then I'd like to do the same for the rest of the database entries. Maybe I'll just stick to finished stories, like "The Ghost in the Olive Grove." Open storylines, like Cry, Wolf, The Chronicles of Nightfire, Texas, and Metrognomes I will have to be more aloof about, since I don't want to spoil any twists. I think I'll let those go up just as dull and regurgitated from my work as they are. Not to insult the brilliance of Mr. Awbrey, whose dedication to tedium I find both astounding and quite useful. Afterall, a fiction writer's Web site just wouldn't be complete without all the information on his fictional realms and characters that can possibly be gathered being readily available to his fans. It's really just as a quick refresher if someone is reading, say, Nightfire #10, and a character pops up who hasn't been there in a while, and they can remind themselves who the character is and what the character has done by accessing the database. I just think it would be more fun if the database had extra facts, not yet revealed anywhere else. What do you think?