Thursday, February 23, 2012

I mostly wrote in my head today; a legitimate part of the process for me. I came up with a lot of good stuff for The Legends of Nod #2. Sat down a few minutes ago and wrote the next scene, picking up where I'd left off on the manuscript months ago; finished out the fourth bullet point on the eighteen-bullet point outline, so, fourteen to go! From today's head-writing, I know that there are a couple more characters not in the outline who will have parts to play in this episode. There's also a non-outlined epilogue that came to me some time back.

I did a lot of visioning for the entire series today as well. It's coming into focus in a very dynamic way. I have all these stories that I want to tell, and I'd originally thought to just tell them in an unending fashion. I know certain events that will change the series as I go, but there was no rush, really. I had planned to hit the more dramatic points as my whims demanded. Now, I'm seeing the series as much tighter, much more focused. I have a specific number in mind, and I intend to go through my notes and narrow the events into this number, spacing them out accordingly. This will keep things moving and much more exciting. Once I get to the number of episodes I am planning to write, I will decide whether I want to continue the series as is or move in a new direction.

The Legends of Nod is really the back story, you see. I had a dream, years ago, and I wanted to write it and publish it. But the story, as it was, wouldn't have any significance for readers without first showing you the history of this world in my dream, because the story in the dream was about that. It was about...well, I don't want to give it all away. Suffice it to say, I have always intended, eventually, to take The Legends of Nod forward to this dream, and that is where the story, for me, will end (unless the characters say otherwise). Meanwhile, it's a lot of fun building the world that existed in that dream, one adventure at a time.